Via Cola di Rienzo
There are few traditional attractions in Prati, meaning it has more of a local neighborhood feel than other more heavily-visited parts of the city. Via Cola di Rienzo is a common stop on food and wine-themed tours of Rome, which bring participants to trattorias, wine bars, and food venues in the area, as well as to the nearby bustling Trionfale Market (Mercato Trionfale).
Many visitors also come to Via Cola di Rienzo to browse and buy goods. Shops here sell everything from lingerie and sportswear to Italian fashions. If you find yourself hungry mid-shopping spree, follow any side street branching off from Via Cola di Rienzo and you’re bound to stumble upon a restaurant.
Things to know before you go
- Via Cola di Rienzo is a must-do for shopping enthusiasts and foodies.
- While the main drag boasts bigger brands, Prati’s smaller streets host artisan studios and boutiques.
- Stop for a pick-me-up espresso at one of the cafés situated along the street.
How to get there
Via Cola di Rienzo runs from the northeastern tip of Vatican City. From central Rome, ride the metro (line A) to Lepanto or Ottaviano. The 81 bus, which runs between Prenestina–Giussano and Risorgimento, makes several stops along Via Cola di Rienzo.
When to get there
Weekends and the weeks immediately before Christmas are the busiest shopping periods. The middle of the week tends to get fewer crowds.
Shopping in Rome
If after browsing the brand-name offerings on Via Cola di Rienzo, you’re still searching for more Roman products to take home, head for one of the city’s other popular shopping destinations. Via dei Coronari in Rome’s historic center is known for its antiques and vintage goods, while the streets near the Spanish Steps have luxury Italian design houses such as Gucci, Prada, and Fendi.
- Raphael's Rooms (Stanze di Raffaello)
- Castel Sant'Angelo National Museum (Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo)
- Sant'Angelo Bridge (Ponte Sant'Angelo)
- Leonardo Da Vinci Experience Museum (Museo Leonardo Da Vinci Experience)
- Tiber River (Fiume Tevere)
- Vatican Museums (Musei Vaticani)
- Vatican Obelisk (Obelisco Vaticano)
- St. Peter's Square (Piazza San Pietro)
- Vatican City (Citta del Vaticano)
- Saint Angelo Bridge Methodist Church (Chiesa Metodista di Ponte Sant'Angelo)
- Sistine Chapel (Cappella Sistina)
- St. Peter's Basilica (Basilica di San Pietro)
- La Pietà
- St. Peter's Baldachin (Baldacchino di San Pietro)
- St. Peter's Dome (Cupola di San Pietro)