Before Musée Gustave Moreau opened, the artist already began to alter the home’s interior before his passing, transforming the space into a mini-museum. The eclectic home, complete with a spiral staircase and brightly painted walls, has three floors with the first displaying the artist’s personal keepsakes, family portraits, and paintings gifted by fellow artist friends Edgar Degas and Théodore Chassériau. The second and third floors are large studios comprised of hundreds of paintings and watercolors, as well as more than four thousand drawings. Many of Moreau’s works are centered around Greek mythology and the Bible.
Things to know before you go
- The museum is open every day except for Tuesday.
- Large groups visiting the museum must call to schedule an appointment beforehand.
- Those with limited mobility should be aware that there are three staircases and no elevator, and is therefore not wheelchair accessible.
- The museum will not store large pieces of luggage.
How to get there
Hop on Metro line 12 and hop off at stops Trinité, Saint Georges, or Pigalle to reach the museum. You can also take Metro line 2 to Pigalle. Or take bus line 26, 32, 43, 67, 68, 74, or 81.
When to get there
The little museum is open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday from 10am to 12:45pm, and reopens at 2pm until 5:15pm. On the weekends the house will remain open from 10am until 5:15pm. The last admission will be at 5pm.
Visit the Artist Community of Montmartre
Since Musée Gustave Moreau is mere steps away, consider exploring the hilltop neighborhood of Montmartre. Known as an artist enclave during the Belle Époque (1872-1914), Montmartre is a unique section of Paris centered by Sacré-Cœur Basilica, Place du Tertre, and the Moulin Rouge.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais