Explore the museum independently on a self-guided tour. In addition to an ever-changing program of temporary exhibitions, the Immigration Museum features several permanent collections. Highlights include the Identity exhibit, which explores how cultural heritage affects self-perception, and the Immigrant Stories section, which reveals the journeys of immigrants from across the globe. The Immigration Museum is a stop on the routes of most Melbourne hop-on hop-off bus tours, which allow you to create your own sightseeing itinerary.
Things to know before you go
- The Immigration Museum is a must-visit for history buffs and those wanting to trace their family history.
- The museum is stroller- and wheelchair-accessible; mobility scooters are available to hire for free at reception.
- There is a gift shop and a cafe inside the museum.
How to get there
The Immigration Museum is open year-round with closures on Good Friday and Christmas Day. It is recommended to put aside around two hours to fully explore the exhibitions.
When to get there
The museum is easy to access via public transportation. You can take the free City Circle Tram to the Flinders Street & Market Street stop, or the paid #48, #55, #70, or #75 tram to the same stop. The museum is also close to a bicycle route along the William Street river, making it easy to access by bike.
Melbourne’s Immigration Museum boasts a prime location near the banks of the Yarra River. After visiting the museum, embark on a walk along the riverside promenade and stop at SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium, home to thousands of marine creatures; the Eureka Skydeck, for the best views of the city; and Federation Square, hailed as the city’s major creative hub.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- Visiting the Little Penguins
- How to Pick a Great Ocean Road Tour
- Wine Tasting in Yarra Valley
- Melbourne Street Art
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Melbourne
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities in Melbourne
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Fall
- Things to Do in Melbourne This Spring
- Top Parks and Gardens in Melbourne
- Art Lover's Guide to Melbourne
- First-Timers Guide to Melbourne