Zuiderkerk (Southern Church)
Amsterdam walking tours often make a stop to admire theZuiderkerk and the quintessential photo spot is looking out across the Groenburgwal canal—the same angle from which Monet painted hisZuiderkerk painting. After admiring the 17th-century church from outside, continue your sightseeing tour to nearby attractions including the Rembrandt House, the Royal Palace, Waterlooplein Market, and the Red Light District.
Things to Know Before You Go
Church services are no longer held at the Zuiderkerk; it is instead used as a venue for concerts, events, and corporate entertaining.
The church is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Zuiderkerk sits just south of Amsterdam’s Nieuwmarkt, within the central canal loop. The closest metro station is Nieuwmarkt, and the church is just a short walk from Waterlooplein and many of central Amsterdam’s attractions.
When to Get There
For photographers, the most flattering light can be found at dusk, but for a crowd-free shot, aim to get there early in the morning.
An Architectural Masterpiece
Zuiderkerk is one of a series of ecclesiastical masterpieces constructed by Dutch Renaissance architect Hendrick de Keyser, who helped shape the face of the Grachtengordel (Canal Ring) by designing the Westerkerk (Western Church) on Prinsengracht and the Noorderkerk (Northern Church) in the Jordaan district. The church’s architectural highlight is its ornamental wooden spire, which looms 246 feet (75 meters) above the surrounding gabled houses and stands out thanks to its ornate gilding and balustrading. De Keyser died in 1621 and is buried in the church along with three of Rembrandt’s children and Ferdinand Bol, who was the artist’s most famous pupil.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Rembrandt House Museum (Museum Het Rembrandthuis)
- Waterlooplein Market
- New Market Square (Nieuwmarkt)
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
- Red Light Secrets (Museum of Prostitution)
- Portuguese Synagogue
- Xtracold Icebar
- Jewish Historical Museum (Joods Historisch Museum)
- Old Church (Oude Kerk)
- Dam Square
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Amsterdam
- Allard Pierson Museum
- National Monument (Nationaal Monument op de Dam)
- Rembrandt Square (Rembrandtplein)
- Museum Our Lord in the Attic (Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder)